Custom Built Wood Kayaks and Small Boats
Strip Built Projects
Stitch and Glue Projects
Small Boat Projects
Standup and Surfboard Projects
Refinish 7 - Pygmy Coho
This project was refinish/repair of a previously built Pygmy Coho. I sanded the the entire boat down, repaired several sections of fiberglass, and applied new varnish.
Length: 17 feet 6 inches
Beam: 23 inches
Weight: ~45 lbs
9/27/14 - Before the refinish work begins.
The condition of the hull is in very rough shape.
9/29/14 - The deck is partially sanded in preparation for new epoxy.
9/30/14 - Several sections of the hull needed fiberglass repair. The area is taped off so the ends of the fiberglass don't fray.
The fiberglass patch.
Fiberglass is wetted out with epoxy. The discolored, damaged area is still visible, but it will be protected and waterproof now.
Another area is patched with fiberglass.
A view of the patch after the tape is removed.
10/1/14 - The hull is given a fill coat of epoxy.
The patched area after the fill coat of epoxy.
10/4/14 - The deck has been sanded and a fill coat of epoxy has been applied.
10/6/14 - The boat is stood on its bow for an endpour.
10/7/14 - The boat gets an endpour in it's stern.
10/8/14 - The old misplaced hole in the bow is filled and a new one drilled.
10/10/14 - The hull is partially sanded.
10/14/14 - Sanding is complete.
10/19/14 - The bulkheads and hatch lips are prepped for fiberglassing on one side.
The fiberglass is wetted out with epoxy.
10/23/14 - The bulkheads are partially epoxied in place. This is a view of the aft bulkhead.
10/24/14 - I finished the epoxy fillets on the bulkheads today.
10/25/14 - The aft hatch lips are epoxied into place.
Forward hatch lips.
10/27/14 - The clamps are removed.
The hull is ready for varnish.
10/29/14 - First coat of varnish on the hull!
11/2/14 - The first coat of varnish is on the deck.
First coat on the hatch covers. The dark lines were where the hatch straps shaded the wood from the sun.
11/6/14 - The final coat of varnish is on the deck.
11/7/14 - Deck rigging and hatch straps are installed.
11/8/14 - The boat is finished. It looks much better than when I started.
Back to Refinished Projects